Bioladies Network events
The Bioladies Network events are open to everyone who might be interested in the topics or benefit from the networking opportunities they provide. Please therefore feel free to share the links below with any colleagues who might be interested.
If you are interested in attending an event, please click on the event title to go to the Eventbrite site where you can register and get tickets for the event.
Upcoming Bioladies Network events
Virtual meetup, Monday 6 July – everywhere!
As our events across the country remain on hold for the time being, we are bringing you another opportunity to stay connected to the Bioladies network from wherever you are.
We have had requests from our bioladies in the far east like Vietnam and China to alter the start time of the meet-ups as they cannot join us because of the time difference. This meeting will therefore start at 12.30 UK time. We will use the same Zoom link and meeting ID as before and contained in the email updates.
Future virtual catchup meeting schedule
We are hoping to continue our catchups over the next few months. The following one will be on Tuesday 21 July.
Recent Bioladies Network events
Virtual meetup, Saturday 27 June – everywhere!
This meeting was on a Saturday and the numbers were lower than normal, so we presume that the weekend is not convenient for many of you. We will meet on weekdays from now on.
A big thank you to Shneel and to Agnieszka for sharing their work with us.
Agnieszka guided us through her unexpected career path and gave tips and hints on moving jobs and cities/countries as well as a fascinating look at the economic forecasts for the global construction industry and the effect of Covid. I attach her presentation for information.
Shneel gave us an insight into her research on biointegrated design and how her background as an architect frames her research into alternative ways to tackle heavy metals in watercourses. She also promised to let us have a link to her famous Tedex talk (when this is released) which she gave to thousands in India.
Virtual meetup, Friday 12 June – everywhere!
It was so lovely to see some of you on 12 June at our virtual meeting. I hope you enjoyed it and please let us have any feedback so we can improve. Big thank you to Sarah, Kirsten and Oya for sharing their work with us.
- Sarah gave us an insight into her research on biologics (biopharmaceuticals) and gave a whole new meaning to speed dating (for proteins).
- Kirsten gave us a fascinating talk about her early research in Uganda on barkcloth.
- Oya gave us an overview of cellulosic materials and sustainable fabrics. She also mentioned contacts in Poland currently making masks; please contact Oya if you need further information.
These links were shared during the meet up:
- Hempcrete 101: Back to the Future for Natural, Carbon-Beneficial Buildings
- How The Formary is Reimagining Textile Waste
- Ingeo fibre
Virtual meetup, Thursday 28 May – everywhere!
It was so lovely to see some of you at this virtual meeting. I hope you enjoyed it and please let us have any feedback so we can improve. Big thank you to Brenda, Josie and Sara for sharing their work with us.
Brenda gave us an insight into the innovative work being done at BIO-ID. Josie explained the strategy to grow an SME, create branding and recent B Corp certification for Woolcool. Sara gave us an insight into sustainable fashion and styling. We then had a wide ranging discussion on sustainable fashion.
Here are some useful links shared during the meet up:
- Common Objective services, network and free Masterclass Webinars
- Online fixing and textile technique workshops
- Lost Stock provides food and support for a worker and their family for one week
- Ellen MacArthur Foundation
- environmental audit committee – fashioned textiles report
- A project looking at waste streams.
Virtual meetup, Wednesday 13 May – everywhere!
The new format of three short talks and discussion went well. Big thank you to Olga, Chris and Fer for sharing their work with us. Olga gave us a comprehensive view of AD plants run by SSE in the UK, Chris fascinated us with his biomimicry examples and then Fer delved into some new technologies in bioenergy. The slides have been shared by email.
These links were shared during the meet up:
- Dragons Den event – alternatives to fossil fuel plastics in construction
- BBC Sounds podcast “30 animals that made us smarter”
- European Bison roaming Romania again
Virtual meetup, Tuesday 28 April – everywhere!
This was again a very successful virtual meeting. In addition to a good catch up with news and views we heard from:
- Lina Mayorga about the Bioeconomy congress website
- Dubravka Skunca about the European Commission Horizon 2020 BBI JU Green Protein Project
- Brenda Parker about supporting students in ways such as managing motivation and conflict
- Sarah Young about the entire season of podcast episodes on the history of hemp Parsons Healthy Materials is doing
- Vijay Kumar Thakur about his paper on hemp
Virtual meetup, Monday 13 April – everywhere!
This was our second virtual meeting and it was also very successful. We had a good catch up with news and views from many places around the world. There was a very stimulating discussion on topics such as the Bio4Products webinar (one hour video here and three minute video here), the LIFT project, the Green Protein project and Biovoices.
Virtual meetup, Monday 30 March – everywhere!
We had a good catch up on our first virtual meetup with members from across the world; lots in London, Scotland, Wales, Greece, Brussels and even India. After a round of introductions, we each provided a brief update on what each of us is doing at the moment.
Information on events held in previous years can be found here.